Thursday, August 10, 2017

Top 10 Disneyland 2017 Vacation Memories: Memory 3: The Jelly Tasting at the Carnation Cafe

Disneyland 2017 Memory #3
The Jelly Tasting at the Carnation Cafe


Chasing Giddy all over Cars Land while eating macaroni and cheese was fun and all, but I was a bit apprehensive about how the rest of our meals would go.

Tuesday morning we began with a reservation for eight at the Carnation Cafe, one of my favorite restaurants in Disneyland (though who am I kidding, all of the restaurants in Disneyland are kind of my favorite).

One thing I love about the Carnation is its photogenic appeal. Sitting outside under oversized red-and-white striped umbrellas with red carnations on every table--you can get some eye-catching photos that way, along with a great meal. Since we were a party of eight with a reservation, however, they sat us indoors. It was unusually hot in Disneyland this time, though (a mix of enormous crowds and absolutely no cloud cover, I think). So I didn't mind eating inside.

But where would I take Giddy under the (highly likely) circumstance that he failed to sit down and behave? The indoor dining area is pretty small. (The Carnation didn't even have indoor seating until a remodel a few years back.) The patio is not set up for crazy children to cavort wildly, and once you go out the back gate, you can't get back in (which also makes using the bathroom a delightful adventure).

To my surprise, Giddy agreed to sit in his high chair without a struggle.

Examining his menu quickly (so he could get on with the coloring), I asked if he wanted a Mickey waffle (like Nellie was getting).

"Ohtay, I do," Giddy said agreeably.

Unfortunately, ten seconds later, he declared, "Ohtay, I eat my waffle now."

He wasn't kidding around. We managed to distract him with crayons for three to five minutes while I took some pictures. Then he started climbing out of his high chair, so I had to think of something fast.

I sat him on my lap and offered him his bottle and kisses and other ineffectual blandishments.  Nothing worked until suddenly I got the brilliant idea to feed him the jelly.


Well, the original idea was just to show him the jelly. It was less an "idea," in fact, than a desperate scramble for whatever distracting props I could reach.

"Wouldn't you like to try some of this?" I suggested as if offering the fanciest treat in the world.

In the end, I (slowly) fed him four complete packets of jelly (each a different flavor). I'm most proud of the fact that without other options, I managed this feat with an adult-sized fork (a real fork with thick, metal tines). I assume Gideon went along with this nonsense because I had been the one showing him how everything worked in Disneyland, and I hadn't steered him wrong so far. Every activity we did must have seemed equally strange to him.

After we killed four packets, our food came, and the jelly connoisseur agreed to go back into his high chair. I was so happy my desperate gamble had actually worked, and Giddy genuinely seemed to enjoy the jelly. (I think selecting which flavor to try next made the activity for him.)

Of course, feeding him and snapping pictures kept me so preoccupied that I somehow ordered myself a ham and cheese omelet with a side of bacon. (That doesn't sound weird when I write it out, but consider that I ordered the extra bacon reasoning that there was no meat in a ham and cheese omelet.)

It's pretty easy to find people to take bacon off your hands, though, and Giddy enjoyed his Mickey waffle (and especially his sausage), so in the end, it all worked out beautifully, and we had a thoroughly lovely breakfast.







No comments: